From nutritionists to fitness gurus, there’s a reason everyone is asking you to amp up your daily protein intake and most of them unanimously agree that eggs as an obvious source, especially when it comes to burning off excess fat. There are multiple ways protein acts as a boon when trying to lose weight – it’s one of the most filling macronutrient, takes longer to digest hence keeps appetite in check, burns a lot more calories than other macronutrients, helps build muscle and thus brings about body transformation when combined with workout routine. A medium-sized egg has 6 gm of protein and approximately 62.5 calories. There’s no denying the fact that egg is a rich source of not only protein, but other nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, folate, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin B6 and B12 and even iron, iodine, and phosphorous, therefore considered a wholesome food! They say if you are trying to shed extra fat, eggs are a must in your diet, but let’s admit it, not all of us have an appetite to eat eggs day in and day out to meet daily requirement of protein. So, for those of us who are not too “eggcited” about eating eggs, we list down 6 foods with more protein than eggs.
1. Peanut Butter: We are introducing an inexpensive yet extremely delicious way to get protein on your daily brown bread – peanut butter! Especially if it’s homemade, you can be sure there is no added sugar content. There’s a lot of healthy fats along with minerals like copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium too along with vitamin E and B3, B6, and even zinc in peanut butter. With so many nutrients packed into this delicious treat, you have to absolutely replace unhealthy spreads like jam, marmalades, and chocolate and switch to peanut butter which can give up to 23 gm protein in 1 tbsp with a total of 189 calories. Peanut butter also has as an amino acid called tryptophan that helps you sleep butter. Peanut butter is also a great plant-based protein, useful in building muscle, but be mindful about restricting consumption to just 1 or 2 tbsp because it’s easy to go overboard and pile up on extra calories by eating this yummy treat.
2. Chickpeas/Hummus: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a good source of protein and good for weight loss. A study done showed that people who consumed hummus on a regular basis had a smaller waist measurement. A 100-gram serving of hummus packs 7.9 gm of protein, with 160 calories.
3. Green Peas: Available all through the year, in frozen form, green peas are low in calories yet pack a protein punch even then. Half a cup of fresh or frozen green peas can contain up to 4 gm of protein, with just 12 gm of carbs, and all within 60 calories. Also read: “7 Best Frozen Foods For Weight Loss.”
4. Greek Yogurt: Not the flavoured ones, but the plain variety of Greek yogurt is high in protein, boosts metabolism, and makes sure you have a good night’s sleep. You can get up to 15 gm of lean protein per 100 gm also a good dose of probiotics, minus the extra calories.
5. Pumpkin Seeds: People around the world have started adding pumpkin seeds to everything they eat – from smoothies, to granola to rolled oats. These seeds can be roasted and consumed as snack by themselves. With their high protein and fiber content, a handful of pumpkin seeds can keep you full for long and rev up the metabolism. A quarter-cup of pumpkin seeds can have up to 10 gm of protein, with a fat content of 16 gm, and calorie count of 180 gm.
6. Paneer: If you are a vegetarian, cottage cheese is your best bet to get protein. Cottage cheese or paneer, is rich in casein protein, keeps you full for longer, is filling and at the same time delicious, and there are many ways to make mouth-watering Indian dishes out of it. In 100 gm of paneer, you can get 20 gm protein with a calorie count of 265 calories. Also read: “What Should I Eat at Night to Burn Fat?”
These were some amazing sources of protein, but do remember, to lose weight, you need to be calorie deficit, practice portion control, and that’s why with Rati Beauty diet, you can lose weight without crash dieting or compromising on nutrition. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
7 Best Frozen Foods For Weight Loss
What Should I Eat at Night to Burn Fat?