Bread and jam is a staple breakfast the world over, but health experts point out it’s the unhealthiest way to kickstart the day, especially when the bread is white and the jam is well jam! Considering you have made that important switch and swapped white bread with brown or other healthier versions (rye, sourdough, etc.), it’s time to address the “elephant in the room,” that is the spread we generously slather on slices, and most of the times, it’s jam or a chocolate spread which is nutty and delicious but not weight loss friendly. Consider this, an extremely popular chocolate spread has “sugar” as its first ingredient, and has up to 54 gm of sugar in 100 gm serving, which is approximately 209 calories! Another popular spread is “jam” which is basically lots of sugar in various colors and flavours, not recommended at all if you are diabetic or trying to lose weight. When trying to shave off extra calories, we have to make tweaks and adjustments to our diet, and we can cut a great number of calories by eliminating jam and chocolate spreads from the breakfast table. There’s no doubt that these spreads taste absolutely delicious, but they are calorie dense and can make fat burning extremely difficult. We list out 7 healthy spreads to slather on bread instead.
1. Peanut Butter: An apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter – that’s gotta be the yummiest weight-loss friendly snack. With high protein content, along with vitamin B, healthy fats – peanut butter (made without added sugar), boosts metabolism, keeps you fuller for longer, and helps to burn fat. However, it’s easy to go overboard with peanut butter, so limit snacking to just 1 tbsp.
2. Almond Butter: High in healthy fats, protein, minerals, and not to mention extremely delicious and vegan friendly, almond butter can boost weight loss when consumed in moderation.
3. Mashed Avocado: A rich source of healthy fats, omega-3 fatty acids, and also rich in minerals like potassium and the healthiest replacement for even mayonnaise because of its rich and creamy texture.
4. Tahini: Tahini is Mediterranean spread that’s made from blending roasted sesame seeds with olive oil, and it’s absolutely yummy! Also read: “12 Secrets for Eating Pizza Without Gaining Weight.”
5. Hummus: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a good source of protein and an amazing snacking option with carrot sticks. In fact, a recent survey reveals that people who consume hummus regularly have a smaller waist measurement. Also read: “7 High-Protein Snacks To Boost Weight Loss.”
6. Pesto Sauce with Basil and Parmesan Cheese: We have always underlined the importance of including healthy fats in order to boost the fat-burning process, and with homemade pesto sauce, you have a good source of healthy fats from nuts, calcium from parmesan cheese and protein – all of which help in the fat-burning process. There are many recipes to make homemade pesto sauce, just google them up.
7. Schewzan Chutney: Add oodles of spiciness and flavour in your breakfast routine by applying
homemade schezwan chutney prepared with dry red chillies, garlic, ginger, and pepper.
Summing up, contrary to popular opinion, butter is not an unhealthy ingredient because it has healthy fats, and when consumed in moderation a way better option than margarine, jam and other chocolate spreads. Though the above-listed spreads are healthier alternatives to store-bought spreads, portion control and calorie deficit are essential if you are trying to lose weight. Also, do follow the Rati Beauty diet, where you can lose weight without crash dieting or compromising on nutrition. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
12 Secrets for Eating Pizza Without Gaining Weight
7 High-Protein Snacks To Boost Weight Loss