No one ever said that losing weight was a cakewalk and we do agree that it’s a process, but this process can be expedited and that too by safe means. We hear so many stories of how people want to “get into shape” before a major event – wedding, birthday, anniversary, etc. and start drinking copious of green tea and consume expensive appetite suppressant powders, but experts warn that even too many cups of green tea would lead to side effects, the most common being dehydration. Fad diets that promise faster results and instruct to eat just a few foods can result in nutritional deficiencies. If you are mulling over the idea of setting foot in the gym but cannot find the time or energy for strenuous exercise, what are your other options? Weight loss cannot happen overnight, and there are no quick fixes, but as we have mentioned above, you can accelerate the pace at which you can shed weight. The Speed Slim challenge helps you drop extra kgs and lose inches the healthy way, without the concept of food deprivation. Read about what more you can do:
1. Do Not Just Cut Back – Eliminate White and Added Sugar: You can try and cut back white sugar as much as possible, but for faster results, you would not only have to eliminate white sugar, you would have to weed out added sugar that makes its way through processed food like cookies, cakes, jam, sauces, salad dressings, breakfast cereals. To satisfy sweet cravings, pick up fruits like berries, guava, banana, apple, pear, watermelon instead.
2. Eat Protein with Each Meal: Make sure every meal that you have has one source of protein – vegetarian or non vegetarian does not matter. Protein not only keeps one full, it suppresses appetite and unnecessary cravings, burns a whole of calories as well. Eggs, cottage cheese, chicken, fish, beans, legumes, green peas, lentils are all good sources of protein. Do check out this list of “17 Cheapest Protein Sources at the Grocery Store” for more details.
3. Take Time out For HIIT: Experts say HIIT or high intensity interval training is the kind of exercise where you get the most after-burn effect. This is a state where your body continues to burn calories long after you have finished the exercise routine and a lot of calories are needed to replenish oxygen in the body, to remove lactic acid buildup, repair muscles, and to refill ATP (adenosine triphosphate – that is required to provide energy to the body). While performing HIIT (even a short routine of 7 to 10 minutes), the muscles in the body run out of oxygen and normal breathing is unable to meet the oxygen demand from muscles. This creates an “oxygen debt” which the body settles over the next few hours, and uses up extra energy (in the form of calories) to do this. High-intensity interval training help the body to burn more fat by incinerating more calories, with higher post-exercise oxygen consumption rate. In fact, doing just 15-minute of HIIT can burn more calories than running on the treadmill for an hour. We all can keep aside just 7 to 15 minutes in a 24-hour period to perform HIIT routine, right?
4. Choose Foods Closest To Their Natural Form: It means avoid processed food and eat an apple instead of drinking packaged apple juice. Having food in its most natural form ensures maximum nutrients are intact, and there have been no or minimal chemicals and preservatives added, and the food has not been manipulated with to appeal to the consumer’s tastebuds. Instant noodles, biscuits, cookies, cake, pastries, chips, ready-to-eat packaged food are all examples of food items that you need to avoid.
5. You Need To Get Some More Sleep: Your weight loss journey can shift to a higher gear from the point you hit the bed early and get a good night’s sleep because research says that people who do not manage to get more than 5 hours of sleep have a higher tendency to gain weight and they get to keep all the extra pounds as well as long as they do not manage to maintain a proper sleep hygiene. We would suggest 7 or more hours of uninterrupted sleep to lose weight fast.
6. Walking For Weight Loss: We spoke about a short exercise routine like HIIT burns significant calories, but staying active and going for walks on a daily basis will add more calories to the incinerator. Keep aside 30 to 40 minutes every single day for brisk walking. Bonus – it will help clear head and smooth out rough spots in your life as well.
7. Don’t Reach out for Food When Stressed, Anxious or Bored: Don’t eat just because you are angry, have jittery nerves or just because there’s nothing better to do. Comfort eating can hamper your weight loss efforts by adding lots of empty calories that gets difficult to burn at the end of the day. Avoid frequent snacking and find better ways to de-stress or fight boredom, a packet of potato chips can only add to your woes.
17 Cheapest Protein Sources at the Grocery Store
7 Minute Fat Burning HIIT Exercises That you can Do at Home